Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lesson Three: The Two Week Rule


This summer I was blessed with an absolutely incredible job with even more incredible people. I loved the environment and it was such an amazing experience. One of the best perks to the job was my boss. He goes to my church back at home and he is a God-fearing man. I remember one day at work we were talking about Austria and adjustments that I was having to make in my life and he said this to me, “You know I’m a firm believer that in every situation you have to give it two weeks. It doesn't matter what the situation is; just give it two weeks and you’ll know if it’s working out or not.

At first I didn't know what to think. It didn't make much sense to me and I couldn't figure out why two weeks was the magic number. I now realize that I didn't get it then because until now, I had never been in a situation that really forced me to rely solely on Jesus. I had never really needed to give anything time. I had never used the Two Week Rule.

In Austria I have been lonely and homesick. I have felt like there was nowhere to turn. At home if I had a bad day, it was easy. All I had to do was go curl up in bed, maybe say a prayer or two, and then vent to my mom. But here there is no mom. No dad. No friends. Not even the comfort of my own home or bed. Nowhere to turn. Except wait. There is that one guy who suffered through a lot worse than missing home. That one guy who gave His life by the will of His own Father so that I could be set free. Oh yeah, that guy could probably help me.

So sure enough, about two weeks into my little adventure here, I hit a wall.

I feel like a running theme in my life has been the issue of trusting God. I have always known it was an issue and I think it has something to do with the control freak in me. I want to handle it all myself and in my mind, I can.

So as soon as I feel comfortable with a situation I say, “You know what, God, why don’t you just scoot on over and let me sit in the driver’s seat. I think I can handle this one.”

Sometimes God lets me drive.

I can tell you, however, that ten time out of ten, I crash the car and total it.

So that’s what I did this week. I finally thought that I had gotten the hang of this whole Austria thing when I got myself into a little fender bender.

I was selfish. I was so caught up in my own world. I missed home. I wanted my internet to work in my room. I wanted to see this. I wanted to do that. I wanted this time to take that hike. I, I, I, me, me, me, myself, myself, myself. I didn't care what worked for the family and what their schedule was like and I failed to remember why I am here: to help them. After all, they are the ones paying me and giving me free room and board.

I began to butt heads with the family and then right on cue, there was a relationship at home that needed mending, and soon enough, my fender bender was a full head on collision.

Thankfully though, before my accident became fatal, God stepped in.

He picked me up out of the driver’s seat, set me in the back, middle seat with my feet on the hump, and buckled me in.

“Hold on kid,” He said, “it’s going to be a bumpy ride, but don’t worry, I got this.”

“I got this.” You know why God’s got this?

Oh I know. Because He’s God.

Because He’s the one who ordained everything that has ever and will ever happen.

Because He has a perfect plan for you and for me.

Friends, there is serous comfort in that truth.

Throughout these past few days, I have learned a lot. I have learned to go with the flow. I have learned that God will work it out. I have learned that all things happen for a reason and for good as long as I serve Him.

And I have learned that I am one blessed girl.

Just two weeks in, and I know that this is going to be a good experience. I have made friends (some my age and one incredible sixty-year-old woman if you were curious) and I have grown in more ways than can fit in this post.

It’s only been two weeks. It feels like two years.

And so it’s true. The Two Week Rule really does exist.

I’m not saying that I am totally settled. That two weeks is all it took and now I don’t miss home at all and everything is rainbows and butterflies.

But two weeks is all it took to open my eyes.

Two weeks is all it took to broaden my horizons.

Two weeks of ups and downs.

There will still be ups and downs. But after going down, there is nowhere else to go...but up.

Onward and upward.

2 Peter 5:10, 11

No comments:

Post a Comment